James A. Simonds, DMD
Education and Professional Membership
- B.A. (Philosophy) – Boston University, Boston, MA
- D.M.D. – Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA
- Associate Clinical Professor in Periodontics, University of California,
- San Francisco
- U.S. Navy Dental Corps Reserve (Lieutenant Commander), National Naval Dental Center, Washington, D.C.
- Periodontics specialty training – LSU School of Dentistry, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Former Assistant Professor – Periodontics, University of the Pacific, San Francisco
- President Western Society of Periodontology 2007
- President Redwood Empire Dental Society 2008
- Editor for several dental organizations
- Lecturer (more than 90 lectures nationwide) and author (Practical Periodontics text and numerous journal articles)
- Research: In progress: Non-palatal autogenous donor sites in gingival grafting including development of the SimulGraftTM which simultaneously covers exposed roots while supplementing gum tissue thickness using the patient’s own tissue (usually avoiding using tissue from the roof of the mouth)
Jim Simonds has taken seriously his 40+ years in dentistry and teaching. He chose the specialty of periodontics because of its biologic foundation, its intellectual challenge and surgical demands, and because of the privilege it allows for the caring of his patients. In the spirit of our name, Dr. Simonds has been a long time innovator in periodontics having developed new microsurgical techniques in periodontal plastic surgery.
Since completing his training in Boston and New Orleans, Dr. Simonds and his wife Dana have become tightly integrated into Sonoma County. Dana is a Superior Court Judge and their children are winding their way through their education. Their son Daniel is a law student at Vanderbilt University, and daughter Michelle is a student at the University of Oregon.
His family actively supports Canine Companions for Independence and their retired breeder dog, Lista, accompanies Dr. Simonds to the office. They all floss daily (except Lista).
Although Jim has serious academic interests, a commitment to physical fitness (6 half-marathons and counting), and a strong sense of community, he attempts to approach practice with gentility and good humor.
Call our office today at ☎ Santa Rosa Office Phone Number 707-525-0555 to make an appointment.